Re: [LUG] Server and Computer Networks

Steve Lee wrote:
> 2008/11/11 Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> The problem is, if you're using existing
>> machines, you won't be able to virtualise the copies of Windows legally
>> unless they're retail boxed versions.  Microsoft would consider moving a
>> Windows installation from a real machine to a Virtual Machine to be a
>> complete new 'computer' which would need a new licence.
>>

> Is that definitely true Rob or more a good guess?
> Perhaps we could treat it like a motherboard upgrade and a call MS for
> a new key or what not. Assuming you still can.

I'm going on the official documentation from Microsoft.  A different
motherboard is considered a new machine hence requring a new licence.
There are ways around it but there is the risk of being caught out and
potentially facing £1,000's in fines.
> This highlights a BIG problem with proprietary software when you can't
> use it as you want once you buy it
> Perhaps something to kick up a stink about?

I don't think Microsoft would change their ways.

>>> Eventually the system will need to run about 8 or 10 pcs connecting to
>>> a file server and running an intranet and a client/order database. Is
>>> there software available that will run on Linux that will allow
>>> multiple connections and provide some sort of client management system
>>> please?
>>>

> Another architecture to think about is thin client (e.g LTSP) though
> the need to run Windows apps probably confuses the issue.
> X basically doesn't care if the app and display are same or different
> machines (what a great design choice was made all those years ago).
> Windows doesn't work that way though RDP (e.g TerminalServices,
> Citrix) gives the illusion.

I'd agree with that, LTSP is a great alternative but then there's the
Windows problem.  One option would be a Windows Server running Terminal
Services but then you'd probably be spending more on licencing that what
it would cost for each machine to have XP installed.

It would make life easier if you could get away with running the Sage
software on just one or two machines.

Another thing to consider is compatibility with outside organisations.
Sure OpenOffice.org does work with MS Office documents (although I have
seem times when documents just don't work right - usually down to the
way the original document author created the document), but would the
staff remember to save anything they're sending in Office formats?

Luckily you can set OOo to save by default in MS Office formats.  Maybe
things will improve once MS releases an ODF importer for Office.

Rob