[LUG] Server and Computer Networks

Hi Guys

I have been contacted by a local company that are interested in moving
to a network of Linux managed computers and servers. This is getting
beyond my knowledge base but the company are willing to allow me to
expand my knowledge and learn as I build, and they will in fact pay me
to do it as well!

I have talked things through with the boss and he would like me to put
together a quote and a system that will work for them and also enable
the computer to cut software costs and be safer. The system is fairly
simple but does throw up some interesting issues. The big issue is
Sage. They run it for their accounts and grab various reports. It runs
as a server programme that also runs an .exe file on the clients. Is
anyone aware of whether it is possible to run Sage through Crossover
or virtualisation software please?

Eventually the system will need to run about 8 or 10 pcs connecting to
a file server and running an intranet and a client/order database. Is
there software available that will run on Linux that will allow
multiple connections and provide some sort of client management system
please?

What hardware would you go for? - For a file server - a nas box or
purpose built system, for a server to run the client management
programme/sage etc. And the pcs themselves.

Many thanks for all the help.
--
Kind regards
Rich