Re: [LUG] Debian (Stable vs Unstable)

Neil Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 13:41 +0000, "Philip Radford" wrote:
>
>> I am writing knowing that Debian (or its derivatives) is the OS of choice
>> within the group.
>>
>> Just got myself a brand new dedicated server as the next logical step up
>> from a shared hosting platform.
>>

> Servers should use stable, or at most testing. Specific packages can be
> backported to stable and the 10 day delay in migration from unstable
> into testing will save you a lot of downtime. Right now, servers should
> consider migrating to 'lenny' as the codename in the sources lists.

Thanks for your comments Neil, I will investigate Lenny and have taken
on board your comments regarding the unstable versus stable repositories.
>> I decided to go with Debian 4.0 (Etch) 64bit as the OS of choice and was
>> wondering if anyone had any advice on whether to install packages from the
>> stable or unstable branch.
>>

> Intel or AMD? (ia64 or amd64)

AMD64 is the 64bit architecture.
>> I have currently gone with the unstable branch after reading the advice on
>> the debian web site.
>>

> ? Eh? What advice? The website does not recommend unstable for servers -
> unstable is not "recommended" in most cases.

I now realise this and have already reimaged back to the etch base
install and will only now update from etch repositories until I can
update with lenny.
>> I am keen to utilise the latest versions of Apache and
>> PHP for my web applications which work in a LAMP environment.
>>

> That is the *wrong* reason to use unstable. Unstable is for development,
> not deployment. Run unstable at home but only stable or testing
> remotely.
>
> Unstable *WILL* break, that is why we call it unstable. It is allowed to
> break and it regularly does break just as soon as the release freeze
> ends. It takes a significant amount of time for unstable to settle down
> after the post-release frenzy - during this time, the thing servers
> should be running is the just-released stable (which at that point is
> still very close to testing).
>
> As soon as Etch was released, the cry went up "Yey! let's get back to
> breaking unstable!". It will happen again with Lenny. Getting the
> release right takes such an amount of time that loads of updates and new
> versions cannot be uploaded, cannot be fully tested. When all those
> pending uploads are actually made, things will break. Promise.
>

>> What are the chances of coming unstuck in the future if I continue to use
>> the unstable branch?
>>

> Right now? Unstable ~= testing == Lenny because of the freeze so you
> will get a completely misleading impression.
>
> Immediately after the Lenny release? 90% chance of failure of unstable
> in at least one LAMP package or direct dependency, 100% chance of some
> failure elsewhere (probably something related to the perl 5.10
> transition or the python transitions).
>
> It will only settle down when all the uploaded packages have all
> completed their migration into testing. i.e. testing is where you want
> to be for new stuff that actually works. I think that is usually an
> important criterion for a server but your mileage may vary (if you are
> mad).

My mistake was to not realise that security patches are built back into
previous releases. Therefore the security benefits of a 2.2.9 apache
package are available within the 2.2.8 package on etch. At least that's
what I have been led to believe.

Thanks for the explanation on this. Very informative and now makes sense
to me.
In summary, I will keep my eye on the lenny (testing) branch. But as
they always say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Phil.
Cornwall.