Re: [LUG] Debian (Stable vs Unstable)

on 6/11/08 4:43 PM, list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Benjamin M. A'Lee
> <bma+lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I'd suggest that the best thing to do for a server is to use Stable,
>> then add backports for the packages you want newer versions of.
>>

> Actually right at this moment, stable may not be the best choice.
> Stable is currently still etch and thats getting quite old. Lenny is
> however frozen and pretty upto date and is in the process of becoming
> the next stable. So it might be an idea to go lenny (testing) now and
> ride this through to lenny becoming "stable".
>
> But don't add lenny or sid packages to an etch system unless you know
> what you are doing (eg backporting your self). Expect breakage if you
> do and if you point your source.lst at testing or unstable you will
> actually just end up upgrading your system to that version anyway.

Hi Robin,

This s in effect what I did without realising the consequences. I updated my
sources.list to reference unstable and a hell of a lot of packages were
downloaded and replaced so from what you've said, I'm now running unstable
(sid).

I have the opton to reimage the server which is great in this situation.

How do I access backports for etch? I presume I can modify the sources.list in
some way.
Can anyone edvise on this?

This should I'm hoping give me most of what I'm after without touching testing
(lenny) or unstable (sid) or indeed compiling everything from source.

Thanks.

Phil.