Re: [LUG] Plymouth & O2

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 22:40 +0000, Kai Hendry wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> My sister is now attending the University of Plymouth. However she is
> having trouble connecting to the wireless from her Ubuntu Thinkpad T30.
>
> I don't know what's going on. She has upgraded Ubuntu at least 3 times
> and perhaps the bloatware that's the Gnome network manager has decided
> to fail unsurprisingly. She does say it works at work at home fine.
> Perhaps I wrote in a /etc/network/interfaces. I can't remember!
>
> So is there any LUG member at the University that could help her resolve
> the problem?
>
> I'm now based in Woking, Surrey. Argh...
>
> /
>

> In other news I am thinking of moving my parent's broadband in Bodmin
> from Eclipse to O2 as a couple of my friends are raving about them.
>
> http://broadband.o2.co.uk/home/packages.jsp
>
> Any opinions on the matter?
>

> With thanks,

There is a wifi connection tool that is far superior to the gnome
network manager. It's called wicd and is much easier to use and seems to
connect to networks a lot easier. For ubuntu you need to go to the wicd
site, http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php, and enter the repository
info (all very clearly explained) and then download it via synaptic. It
says it is uninstalling network manager for you when you do this, but it
still seems to be there if you access via the menu, so maybe just some
conflicting guts are zapped.

I would have no hesitation in replacing network manager with this on any
gnome device. I replaced xandros with the eubuntu netbook rewrite (also
highly recomended) and was having lots of connection probs until I put
in wicd. A really well thought out app. Make sure the key gets added
though as it won't download unless you do, also carefully explained.

As to replacing eclipse with BT, I recently dumped eclipse for the
postoffice, which I think is BT frontended, and will be switching to
eclipse as soon as the contract expires.But maybe BT and the PO have
different call centres?

Simon