Re: [LUG] Ubuntu and bottom panel, WIFI Networks

Richard Brown wrote:

> Also, how secure is an encrypted wifi network please?

How is it encrypted?

The standard encryption "WEP" is trivially simple to crack by modern
standards, and you can download a Linux LiveCD that will do the attack
for you, no "brains" beyond ensuring your wireless card is compatible
with the live CD, and burning a bootable CD required.

Someone said of attacks against WEP that they are now so efficient it is
easier to crack WEP than to get the user to type the key into their
computer. Probably a slight exaggeration, but it makes the point.

Also WEP is vulnerable because it is a shared key system, so anyone who
connected once knows the key, ex-employees, contractors, visitors etc,
till it is changed.

I'm not familiar with the strength of WPA and other encryption
algorithms used in more modern wireless networks, but I dare say Google
knows.

How secure does it have to be? I've helped paranoid folk lock down
wireless lans to individual Mac addresses, and such like, not
infallible, but it stops the idle cracker owning your lan without
dedicated effort.

If someone is going to put that sort of effort in to getting in to the
network, you probably don't want wireless, and you want a security guard
24x7, assuming it is worth protecting the data that much (sometimes it
isn't).