[LUG] Ubuntu and bottom panel, WIFI Networks

Hi

We're using Ubuntu 8.04 to run the network at the local youth group.
We've got them all running nicely apart from the fact that the bottom
panel has disappeared. Does anyone know why and if so how to fix it.
On one computer we have partially fixed it by re-installing the
packages that run the panel but we still seem to be missing one or
two.

Also, how secure is an encrypted wifi network please? We were talking
through whether it is possible to crack a secure network. I have
several businesses running wifi thinking they are safe and I am not
sure they are. Can data be grabbed please? Is it possible for me to
demonstrate and if so what programmes do I use and would I have to run
them on a Linux box or could I run them on a Mac please?
--
Kind regards
Rich