Re: [LUG] LXF Replacement disc

ok - there are 2 solutions to HAVING to run windows..

The first is called steady state, its from windows and its free..
Create 2 partitions (one for the OS and one for storage)
Install everything just like they want it on the OS partition
Make a documents folder on the storage drive.
Right click on "MyDocuments" then Properties, and change the destination to the new folder on D
(this ensures documents are saved permanently)
Install steady state and lock down the C: drive

You now have...
A machine that will still suspend and hibernate fine, remembering all changes, but every time its rebooted, it comes back as new.
You can even delete everything on dive C: and itll still reboot fine!
No virus scanners required, visit as many porn sites as you like, perfect!

Alternatively,

Just install VMWARE player under linux and boot an XP virtual machine.
On my laptop it runs just as fast as a wine app, and unless you wanted to play a graphic intensive game, you'd never know!

Alan

Rob Beard wrote:
Adam Latham wrote:

No, I had AVG 8 running on the Windoze machine.  However, clever
children like to play on MSN messenger and despite the '..for gods sake,
scan stuff before you open it.'  pleas, I'm just the old dude who knows
nothing!

LOL I've had something similar from my step daughter who's 14.

The move completely from Linux is down to daughters fixation with Habbo
(Shockwave Flash Thingy) and very old habits that are hard to eradicate
started at school which are...

Windoze is your master...  if it ain't Windoze it ain't no good!

Ahh yeah, from what I understand there isn't a Shockwave plugin for
Linux.  Hmmm, does Wine support Shockwave?

We will win in the end, and That silly new windoze OS is certainly
helping!  My Kids hate it!

Is that Vista?

The big problem is I don't use the windows box, but seem to spend half
my time fixing the darned thing... when .dll's attack (or get updated by
M$ and blow up your OS)

Ho, hum!  Keep up the great work M$!

If it was me I'd install Windows on VMWare, install everything the kids
want and then copy the disk image.  If it screws up, simply copy the
files back over.

I've done a quick Google search and it seems that Habbo Hotel works on
Ubuntu via Firefox on Wine.  Not tried it myself but I'm going to have a
play now.

May be a good solution.

Rob