Re: [LUG] LXF Replacement disc

Adam Latham wrote:

> So I did none of the above!  I AVG'd it, then Stinger'd it, then
> F-secured it, then phoned them and told them I didn't use Windoze only
> Linux.  Hey Presto... 10 minutes later broadband restored.

Were you not running Anti-Virus software before on Windows?

Saying that, I've had two machines to fix recently which were both
infected with Adware and Trojans.  BBboth paid for anti-virus apps, one
PC had F-Secure on a monthly subscription, the other was Norton Internet
Security on an annual licence didn't pick them up whereas AVG Free 8 did!

I've got a copy of the malware in a backup so I'm going to test Avast
against them later on a VMWare sandbox (just going to do a scan to see
if it picks them up).

> I would have appreciated a call to say "Hey... did you know you're
> infected?"  But no!  Turn me off, refuse to answer questions, close-up
> shop at 5pm and then snail-mail me useless instructions.

Yeah that's what you get with these big ISPs.  I've occasionally had
problems with Enta and I can phone them up no matter what time of day or
night and get through to a tech support rep and they're always really
friendly and knowledgeable.  I'd have though Sky Broadband (which is
re-badged Easynet) would have 24 hr tech support who could reinstate
your broadband.

> Sorted now, and the sooner I ditch that Windoze box, the better!

What exactly is holding back the move to completely Linux?

By the way, I have a feeling that IPCop has a plugin to proxy/scan
traffic with ClamAV.  Not sure if that might help pickup things like
this before they arrive on the Windows box?

Rob