Re: [LUG] LXF Replacement disc

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Beard" <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 2:48 PM
Subject: Re: [LUG] LXF Replacement disc

> Adam Latham wrote:
>
>> So I did none of the above!  I AVG'd it, then Stinger'd it, then
>> F-secured it, then phoned them and told them I didn't use Windoze only
>> Linux.  Hey Presto... 10 minutes later broadband restored.
>
> Were you not running Anti-Virus software before on Windows?
>
> Saying that, I've had two machines to fix recently which were both
> infected with Adware and Trojans.  BBboth paid for anti-virus apps, one
> PC had F-Secure on a monthly subscription, the other was Norton Internet
> Security on an annual licence didn't pick them up whereas AVG Free 8 did!
>
> I've got a copy of the malware in a backup so I'm going to test Avast
> against them later on a VMWare sandbox (just going to do a scan to see
> if it picks them up).
>

>> I would have appreciated a call to say "Hey... did you know you're
>> infected?"  But no!  Turn me off, refuse to answer questions, close-up
>> shop at 5pm and then snail-mail me useless instructions.
>>

> Yeah that's what you get with these big ISPs.  I've occasionally had
> problems with Enta and I can phone them up no matter what time of day or
> night and get through to a tech support rep and they're always really
> friendly and knowledgeable.  I'd have though Sky Broadband (which is
> re-badged Easynet) would have 24 hr tech support who could reinstate
> your broadband.
>
>> Sorted now, and the sooner I ditch that Windoze box, the better!
>
> What exactly is holding back the move to completely Linux?
>
> By the way, I have a feeling that IPCop has a plugin to proxy/scan
> traffic with ClamAV.  Not sure if that might help pickup things like
> this before they arrive on the Windows box?
>
> Rob
>
> --
>
> --
> believed to be clean.

At work where I have to used a combination of linux/windows machines,  the
machine
we use to do virus removal, have 3 separate installations with AVG Free,
NOD32,
and the Symantec Corporate antivirus clients.  With comparing the three you
can almost
guarantee that each one will find something the others has missed.

Ah least we rarely get email viruses there anymore, got a fedora 9 machine
running with
spamassassin, mailscanner, f-prot and nod32 getting rid of the nasties
before its getting
delivered to exchange.

Andrew