Re: [LUG] DO NOT TOUCH CHROME

Yes, but there has to be a clause in the GPL to cover it. It can't
simply be covered by the spirit of the license. The excerpt Ben posted
wouldn't invalidate the old Section 11, there might be something in
there that does, but I've never heard of it covering data transfered
through the application; in fact it would be silly to do so. A lot of
companies wouldn't use GPL if it didn't allow them to put restrictions
on data going through the application because while they may want to
GPL the application, they may be using it for transferring sensitive
data, which if the GPL was applied in the ways described above, would
make that data re-distributable by the user in the same way the
program is. That would have all sorts of implications for companies
using GPL'd software in corporate environments.

Regards, Ross Bearman