Re: [LUG] DO NOT TOUCH CHROME

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 08:14:18PM +0100, Ross Bearman wrote:
>  As far as I'm aware Firefox has a EULA among other large GPL'd
> projects, I've never seen it written anywhere that you cannot define
> other restrictions, beyond the GPL. It's true EULAs are usually used
> as an alternative to the GPL in proprietary software, however EULA is
> simply a generic term for any agreement the user makes.

Section 10 of the GPL states:

    You may not impose any further restrictions on the exercise of the
    rights granted or affirmed under this License. For example, you may
    not impose a license fee, royalty, or other charge for exercise of
    rights granted under this License, and you may not initiate
    litigation (including a cross-claim or counterclaim in a lawsuit)
    alleging that any patent claim is infringed by making, using,
    selling, offering for sale, or importing the Program or any portion
    of it.

While this obviously doesn't preclude dual-licencing, it does preclude
"this is GPL but you can't share/modify it without our permission", for
example, and I'm fairly sure it would also preclude "this is GPL, but if
you use it we own all your data".

As has been pointed out, though, they've already corrected their EULA,
so I suspect it was an oversight in the first place (slap on the same
licence as they use for everything, without actually reading it...).

--
Benjamin M. A'Lee || mail: bma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web: http://subvert.org.uk/~bma/ || gpg: 0xBB6D2FA0