Re: [LUG] Data centre in Cornwall

On 2008-08-01T01:31+0100 Adrian Midgley wrote:
> Are there any flooded mines that could supply cold water?

I think the "cooling problem" with data centres is overstated. I think
there was some BBC programme recently that etched this into people's
heads. I don't think water cooling is necessary. Though Praze Farm has a
stream and two springs.

Btw, did you know it is much more expensive to heat a home than to cool
it?  I read that in WIRED magazine a couple of months ago.

I've just received a very interesting call from the Highways Agency, aka
http://www.enterprisemouchel.com/ in this area.

He said there were two fibres running along the north side of the A30
from Global Crossing and Easy Net. Somewhat more interestingly he was
saying that the Highways Agency require high speed Internet for their
CCTVs. Right now they have a solution which they are not too happy with.
Line of sight microwave from the top of Temple from Looe by BT.

Kind regards,