Re: [LUG] Data centre in Cornwall

Kai Hendry wrote:

> Since the property backs up onto the A30, where I know for a fact fibre
> optic comes up through from New York, I have been mulling what I can do
> to hook up onto it.

Others have wondered this, and tried and failed.

I believe Level3 own one of the newer transatlantic cables landing in
North Cornwall. So they probably either own fibre in the A30 cable run
or buy services from whoever does.

A quick traceroute suggests there is nothing(?) between Level3 in London
and Level3 in Washington - so either a single stretch of fibre or the
routers are all hidden by tunnelling - and yes far too quick to be a
satellite link....

I suspect the economics of tapping in are against you unless there is a
lot of dark fibre down there. Also it may be fibre all the way to some
very expensive kit for terminating transatlantic fibre in London. Still,
it doesn't hurt to ask.

Do you have a plentiful supply of cheap green power?
And/or infrastructure to supply same - from say Hinckley?