Re: [LUG] Data centre in Cornwall

Do you know the people who have tried and failed? I would like to
perhaps talk to them...

On 2008-07-29T13:08+0100 Simon Waters wrote:
> I suspect the economics of tapping in are against you unless there is a
> lot of dark fibre down there. Also it may be fibre all the way to some
> very expensive kit for terminating transatlantic fibre in London. Still,
> it doesn't hurt to ask.

Yes, I am still trying to find out who to ask... :/

I called land registry and they passed me onto the
Devon and Cornwall county council switchboard, then
"land searches", then
NCDC "land searches" who said
I should come down to Barn Lane, Bodmin to look through planning
applications as they don't have it computerised.

I also contacted the Highways Agency. They said they would get back to
me. This could be really tricky as I distantly recall in Australia, a
LUV member (http://www.luv.asn.au/) knew where lines were laid. But he
said it's often secret information so no one knows easily what's what.

I predict it not being easy with "Global Crossing" & L3 & the like.
Though I think this should be a political issue, as there is some much
talk of facilitating the IT industry in Cornwall. Could be my
imagination running wild mind.

> Do you have a plentiful supply of cheap green power?
> And/or infrastructure to supply same - from say Hinckley?

It's cheap: http://flickr.com/photos/hendry/2710694778/ 10p per kW/h is
quite good? I pay 13p a unit in Surrey.

Also see http://dabase.com/wf2/ with Opera

Though for "green", I've been thinking of getting a Windmill going. The
A30 junction near my home is called "Four Winds" promisingly.

Don't know about Hinckley. Do any list subscribers have a Windmill power
generator per chance?