Re: [LUG] Instruction Needed

2008/7/19 John Hansen <whitover-1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I am still a newbie that needs to be instructed in the art of Linux
> filing which as a many year user of Windows I still find very confusing.

The key difference between the 2 filing systems is that Linux has a
single 'tree' with / as the root (top) while Windows has multiple
trees with the Drive letter (C, D) as the root of each device (a
legacy of DOS). New storage devices on Windows get given the next
available drive letter automatically but on Linux they get added to
the single tree, a process called mounting. Most modern Desktop
managers should auto mount USB storage devices and give you an icon on
the desktop from which you can browse the files.. If not, you have to
manually mount it so the files appears as part of the main tree; best
to check you distro's support.

Hope that helps a little

--
Steve Lee
Open Source Assistive Technology Software and Accessibility