[LUG] Instruction Needed

I am still a newbie that needs to be instructed in the art of Linux
filing which as a many year user of Windows I still find very confusing.
Why can I not open the files contained on a USB stick as drive E or F?
All I get is partition1 which really is of no use to me. I would like to
see what is on the USB stick with a click or two. Similarly I find the
way I am to file an Open Office file odd.

I am sure these problems are due to me not being totally comfortable
using Linux but some one to one instruction might clear up my confusion.

Any one prepared to help me get over my "filing hurdle"? A donation to a
Charity is possible.

John