Re: [LUG] Disk Rates

Rob Beard wrote:

> You could try hdparm -t /dev/sdX (where X is the letter of the device
> name).  That'll give you read performance details.

hdparm is great for basic checks and tuning. And will do a little more
than just read performance with tweaking.

Where you want a little bit more, for a little more effort, bonnie++
will report on different types of I/O. Of course this assumed you have a
file system etc. Where performance matters I run bonnie++ after
installation, and after all relevant I/O subsystem changes (new disks,
new kernels), and put the notes in my server documentation. It can be
very revealing!

Extra swap space? I use any spare(?) disk space for back up copies of
stuff. Swap space for me is a little bit of space so the kernel can page
out idle pages, to expand the disk cache a little. On most systems a few
100MB is more than enough swap space even with modern bloatware.