Re: [LUG] new machine

Quoting alexfido@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> Hi all,HELP,my friend and i just built my new computer,2.66 quad
> core 4gb ram,160gig sata hd,with a caddy+dvd rw.
> The problem i got is i am trying to load ubuntu 8.04 on a hard drive
>  in the caddy with the sata hd disconected,the machine knows there
> is  a hd in caddy and the boot order is correct.
> I get this message:busybox v1.1.3(debian1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) built-in
> shell(ash)enter help for a list of built-in commands.
>
> (initramfs)_
>
> At this point my synaptic pathways fried in my brain,this is way
> over my head.
> happy days from alex the noob
> --

Hi Alex,

It might be that the SATA controller on your motherboard is not
supported.  I've not seen this with Ubuntu but I have seen something
similar with Windows.

If you look in the BIOS there may be an option for SATA to emulate
IDE.  I can't remember exactly what it's called but it should
'emulate' an IDE controller.

There was a new release of Ubuntu 8.04.1 yesterday which you can
download from here: http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04.1/

It fixes lots of bugs which have been found since the intial 8.04
release.  Give that a try and see if it helps.

If all else fails you could try another distro like Fedora 9 just to
see if it's distro specific or something to do with your hardware.

Something worth noting, you'll really need the 64-bit version (AMD64
or x86-64) as the 32-bit version (x86 or i386 versions) will not
support over about 3.5GB of memory.

By the way, what motherboard have you got?

Rob