Re: [LUG] new machine

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 10:11:37 +0100
alexfido@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Posted by "Alex Mclennan"
>

> Hi all,HELP,my friend and i just built my new computer,2.66 quad core
> 4gb ram,160gig sata hd,with a caddy+dvd rw. The problem i got is i am
> trying to load ubuntu 8.04 on a hard drive in the caddy with the sata
> hd disconected,the machine knows there is a hd in caddy and the boot
> order is correct. I get this message:busybox
> v1.1.3(debian1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) built-in shell(ash)enter help for a
> list of built-in commands.
>
> (initramfs)_
>
> At this point my synaptic pathways fried in my brain,this is way over
> my head. happy days from alex the noob

Hi Alex,

If you still have the .ISO file you downloaded, also download
the .MD5 file and check it.  This is a checksum file - essentially when
you run an MD5 checksum generator on the .ISO file it'll spit out a
code.  If this is the same as the code in the .MD5 file then your ISO
file downloaded cleanly.  If it is different, then you might as well
delete the ISO file and re-download it.

It sounds like the CD/DVD is booting but can't get the files it needs -
they're possibly corrupt or just missing.

Grant.