Re: [LUG] We've got a mention in Linux Format

Paul Sutton wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> The latest issue of Linux Format came through today.  I was reading
>> through the pages about the LUGs and we got a mention under the "Adopt a
>> LUG" section.
>>
>> Not sure if it's a good or bad thing but it suggests says...
>>
>> "Luggers in Plymouth need to use the wider Devon & Cornwall GLUG for
>> regular meeting, rather than a more local gathering."
>>

> There is nothing to stop someone suggesting they meet up in a pub in
> plymouth and sending any invite to the lug to invite other plymouth lug
> members or people from further afield,
>
>> Now, that could be a good thing or bad thing depending on how you look
>> at it.  Sure there doesn't seem to be anywhere as far as I'm aware
>> anyway in Plymouth that is used for a LUG meet, so maybe it's an idea to
>> look into this further, maybe even if it's just in a Weatherspoons pub
>> on a Saturday or something (they have free wifi which isn't actually too
>> bad).
>>

> It will work as long as meets are still open to all but and make people
> aware the main topic of the meet is say a local event. if we are
> discussing that after all we may need input by lug members in different
> areas,
>
>> This also did get me thinking...
>>
>> <cat amongst pigeons> Would it make sense to have smaller more localised
>> mini-LUGs for areas in Devon & Cornwall so those of us dotted around a
>> specific area could arrange more meetings and events.  Not sure if maybe
>> a couple covering the various ends of Devon & Cornwall for instance
>> maybe an Exeter & Torbay mini-lug, North Devon mini-lug, Plymouth and
>> East Cornwall mini-lug etc... </cat amongst pigeons>.
>>
>> I don't mean replacing the Devon & Cornwall GLUG, but something to run
>> along side so when we do events such as the Exeter Fun Day, or Penzance
>> Computers Day we could raise funds locally to cover these events (for
>> instance for the Exeter Fun Day we're going to need a marquee with sides
>> which hopefully a couple of us will be able to raise funds for and also
>> a Devon & Cornwall GLUG banner).
>>
>> Actually maybe the banner & marquee idea's should be discussed in a
>> separate thread?]]
>>
>> Anyway... just a thought.  I don't want to stir up any flame wars or
>> anything, I just wonder if maybe some mini-lugs underneath the "Devon &
>> Cornwall GNU/Linux User Group" umbrella might be a good idea, especially
>> when recruiting new members.
>>
>> Rob
>>

> I think this would work as we could localize, our efforts more as you
> said, I am sure members are trying to get venues organised, so neil has
> somewhere in Plymouth or is working on this, we sort of have venues in
> torbay, well the rugby club if you don't mind no internet access or very
> few power sockets (anyone else got ideas),
>
> If you want a meet at the shoreline please can someone else book it, so
> [...]
hi all ,i live in sidmouth i could imagine the turn out when i advertise
a meeting of SLUG,i think having a local lug makes sense in the west and
far west of the region but i dont think there is enough members here in
the east.i live in hope of a linux expert moving into my street,happy
days.alex the noob