Re: [LUG] We've got a mention in Linux Format

Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> The latest issue of Linux Format came through today.  I was reading
> through the pages about the LUGs and we got a mention under the "Adopt a
> LUG" section.
>
> Not sure if it's a good or bad thing but it suggests says...
>
> "Luggers in Plymouth need to use the wider Devon & Cornwall GLUG for
> regular meeting, rather than a more local gathering."

There is nothing to stop someone suggesting they meet up in a pub in
plymouth and sending any invite to the lug to invite other plymouth lug
members or people from further afield,
> Now, that could be a good thing or bad thing depending on how you look
> at it.  Sure there doesn't seem to be anywhere as far as I'm aware
> anyway in Plymouth that is used for a LUG meet, so maybe it's an idea to
> look into this further, maybe even if it's just in a Weatherspoons pub
> on a Saturday or something (they have free wifi which isn't actually too
> bad).

It will work as long as meets are still open to all but and make people
aware the main topic of the meet is say a local event. if we are
discussing that after all we may need input by lug members in different
areas,
> This also did get me thinking...
>
> <cat amongst pigeons> Would it make sense to have smaller more localised
> mini-LUGs for areas in Devon & Cornwall so those of us dotted around a
> specific area could arrange more meetings and events.  Not sure if maybe
> a couple covering the various ends of Devon & Cornwall for instance
> maybe an Exeter & Torbay mini-lug, North Devon mini-lug, Plymouth and
> East Cornwall mini-lug etc... </cat amongst pigeons>.
>
> I don't mean replacing the Devon & Cornwall GLUG, but something to run
> along side so when we do events such as the Exeter Fun Day, or Penzance
> Computers Day we could raise funds locally to cover these events (for
> instance for the Exeter Fun Day we're going to need a marquee with sides
> which hopefully a couple of us will be able to raise funds for and also
> a Devon & Cornwall GLUG banner).
>
> Actually maybe the banner & marquee idea's should be discussed in a
> separate thread?]]
>
> Anyway... just a thought.  I don't want to stir up any flame wars or
> anything, I just wonder if maybe some mini-lugs underneath the "Devon &
> Cornwall GNU/Linux User Group" umbrella might be a good idea, especially
> when recruiting new members.
>
> Rob

I think this would work as we could localize, our efforts more as you
said, I am sure members are trying to get venues organised, so neil has
somewhere in Plymouth or is working on this, we sort of have venues in
torbay, well the rugby club if you don't mind no internet access or very
few power sockets (anyone else got ideas),

If you want a meet at the shoreline please can someone else book it, so
the job gets done properly this time, i don't feel confident going in
after we got in trouble last time, (please respect this and help me),

With pubs you need to consider our younger members, at least at the
rugby club or shoreline they can buy their own drinks at the bar, with a
pub they can't, not even soft drinks, juice etc.

of course no parking, at most pubs or the shoreline during the summer :(
parking in torbay is also a rip off compared to other areas.

I am sure someone lives over goodrington, or broad sands, are there any
venues over that end of paignton, ? with parking, !! which is most
important.

In any case meetings need to be regular, the open university students
meet monthly, on the 2nd tuesday, so we know in advance, we should do
the same, that way dates can be entered in to a diary and people can say
sorry |I am busy with a lug meeting. esp as if we could meet monthly we
know the venue and know what is available it really helps with planning.

In addition if we can get a regular meet venue in different areas, we
can advertise this on the lug site so if you live in torbay, we meet on
date X if you live in plymouth then we meet on date Y each month, etc.

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

visit us on IRC - irc.flashtek-uk.com / 6667 #dclug