Re: [LUG] We've got a mention in Linux Format

Rob Beard wrote:

> Actually maybe the banner & marquee idea's should be discussed in a
> separate thread?

Probably.

As regard money - there are some funds (mostly) held by me (~£104).

We have no policy on spending the money - so I guess "put your case on
the list" (and prod me in case I'm busy feeding the baby!) - I'd be very
happy to spend it all on some sort of event that needs it and then
ponder if we should create a proper organisation for future spending.

But we've never had big problems raising money, or equipment -- all
we've ever had a big problem with is people offering to organize or take
the lead on something.

Usually when you do volunteer to organize, lots of folk offer to help.

Although sometimes ideas for meetings or events just don't attract
attention - usually a sign you forget to "market" it heavily enough -
sometimes an a sign that nobody cared enough - often a sign your part of
D&C is further from Exeter and/or Plymouth than you realised.

> I just wonder if maybe some mini-lugs underneath the "Devon &
> Cornwall GNU/Linux User Group" umbrella might be a good idea,
> especially when recruiting new members.

I think it is just a numbers thing.

If we had more folks organising meetings locally it might be feasible,
but about the only subgroup that ever looked like it might be viable
consisted of Debianites (mostly because they were excessively keen
rather than numerous). Although I dare say at one point Gentoo users
would have been viable if they had felt like organizing a subgroup.