Re: [LUG] We've got a mention in Linux Format

Simon Waters wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>> Actually maybe the banner & marquee idea's should be discussed in a
>> separate thread?
>
> Probably.
>
> As regard money - there are some funds (mostly) held by me (~£104).
>
> We have no policy on spending the money - so I guess "put your case on
> the list" (and prod me in case I'm busy feeding the baby!) - I'd be very
> happy to spend it all on some sort of event that needs it and then
> ponder if we should create a proper organisation for future spending.

Great, well I'll find out about banners (I was thinking of a
professionally printed banner) and then we could all discuss it and see
what everyone thinks.

> But we've never had big problems raising money, or equipment -- all
> we've ever had a big problem with is people offering to organize or take
> the lead on something.

Well this year I've signed up again for the Exeter Hospital Radio Fun
Day, I believe it's on 16th August although I will confirm the date.
Looking back on last year I thought we could do with a gazebo this year
as a) if it's sunny we won't get sunburnt and we'll be able to see the
computer screens and b) if it's raining the computers won't get wet :-)

Argos sell gazebo's from about £10 with sides costing about £25 I think.
  They come in a shade of dark green.  Shame we can't get some Ubuntu
brown ones ;-)

> Usually when you do volunteer to organize, lots of folk offer to help.

Yep, I'd have to say that is true, I know not everyone is able to make
it to events due to the distance to travel (I certainly can't usually
make it to events in Cornwall) but it's certainly a help when we can get
help.

> Although sometimes ideas for meetings or events just don't attract
> attention - usually a sign you forget to "market" it heavily enough -
> sometimes an a sign that nobody cared enough - often a sign your part of
> D&C is further from Exeter and/or Plymouth than you realised.

I suppose it also can't help with the distance thing.  That's why I
suggested maybe mini groups, even if it's just more regular meetings
were those of us in a close proximity can meet up more often and persue
things in our local areas.

>> I just wonder if maybe some mini-lugs underneath the "Devon &
>> Cornwall GNU/Linux User Group" umbrella might be a good idea,
>> especially when recruiting new members.
>
> I think it is just a numbers thing.
>
> If we had more folks organising meetings locally it might be feasible,
> but about the only subgroup that ever looked like it might be viable
> consisted of Debianites (mostly because they were excessively keen
> rather than numerous). Although I dare say at one point Gentoo users
> would have been viable if they had felt like organizing a subgroup.

Fair enough.  Maybe as a group we could look into a bit more promotion.
  For instance I found another Ubuntu user in Exeter who wasn't a member
of the LUG but was involved with Ignots in Exeter at Help The Aged where
he was providing training.  I suggested he join the LUG as I know a few
of us would like to get more involved with Ignots.

Not sure the best way of getting the word out there.  I could to a point
get a mention on the radio stations I work at (such as a listing in
their what's on guide for LUG meetings - especially if we have any demo
days or install days), maybe even an interview on the radio (most likely
on South Hams Radio as they're more of a local station - along the lines
of BBC Radio Devon just commercial).  There's also maybe columns in the
local papers.  At least in Torbay/Teignbridge we could possibly get
something in the Herald Express.

Rob