Re: [LUG] We've got a mention in Linux Format

Paul Sutton wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> The latest issue of Linux Format came through today.  I was reading
>> through the pages about the LUGs and we got a mention under the "Adopt a
>> LUG" section.

>> Not sure if it's a good or bad thing but it suggests says...

>> "Luggers in Plymouth need to use the wider Devon & Cornwall GLUG for
>> regular meeting, rather than a more local gathering."

> There is nothing to stop someone suggesting they meet up in a pub in
> plymouth and sending any invite to the lug to invite other plymouth lug
> members or people from further afield,

I'm always keeping an eye out for locations myself when I'm in Plymouth
but not being a resident of Plymouth I'm not sure where would be ideal.
  I will ask at Plymouth Sound though, I'm sure someone might be able to
suggest a local pub with maybe a private function room or something.  If
there's enough interest then maybe we could setup some sort of monthly
or bi-monthly meeting and all chip in a couple of pounds to cover costs,
or even better, find a community centre which we could use the
facilities and offer them an LTSP installation (I'm sure if it was
related to kids we could get part funding from the Plymouth Sound
charity - I will check though).

<snip>

> I think this would work as we could localize, our efforts more as you
> said, I am sure members are trying to get venues organised, so neil has
> somewhere in Plymouth or is working on this, we sort of have venues in
> torbay, well the rugby club if you don't mind no internet access or very
> few power sockets (anyone else got ideas),

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anywhere at the moment.  I
guess power sockets are essential and ideally some sort of internet
access - if it came to it a 3 Mobile broadband pre-pay modem shared on
one laptop would do the job if we kept the bandwidth usage down,
although I get the feeling between us we'd use more than a gig in an
evening, especially if we're helping someone fix something.

> If you want a meet at the shoreline please can someone else book it, so
> the job gets done properly this time, i don't feel confident going in
> after we got in trouble last time, (please respect this and help me),

Trouble?  Did I miss something?

> With pubs you need to consider our younger members, at least at the
> rugby club or shoreline they can buy their own drinks at the bar, with a
> pub they can't, not even soft drinks, juice etc.

That's true, it's not fair to exclude anyone.

> of course no parking, at most pubs or the shoreline during the summer :(
> parking in torbay is also a rip off compared to other areas.

Yes that's true.  As I found on Saturday, if you want free parking it
isn't easy to find.

> I am sure someone lives over goodrington, or broad sands, are there any
> venues over that end of paignton, ? with parking, !! which is most
> important.

I'm sure there is a couple of pubs with parking and family areas on the
way to Brixham (in Goodrington) but I'm not sure if they offer wifi.

Saying that, with places like Weatherspoons and McDonalds starting to
offer free wifi, I'm sure it won't be long before more places offer free
wifi, even if it is a £12 a month connection to Tiscalli and a Wireless
router.

> In any case meetings need to be regular, the open university students
> meet monthly, on the 2nd tuesday, so we know in advance, we should do
> the same, that way dates can be entered in to a diary and people can say
> sorry |I am busy with a lug meeting. esp as if we could meet monthly we
> know the venue and know what is available it really helps with planning.

I agree.  My other half has meeting's to do with a group she's a member
of.  They have meetings on something like the first Tuesday of every
month so I know she's out and I keep an eye on the kids.  As much as I
enjoy coming to the meetings I usually get grief about the lack of
notice.  If something was set in stone that a meeting would happen once
a month, or even once every 2 months, I could say tell my other half to
leave that date free so she knows that I'm out.

> In addition if we can get a regular meet venue in different areas, we
> can advertise this on the lug site so if you live in torbay, we meet on
> date X if you live in plymouth then we meet on date Y each month, etc.

Good idea.

Rob