Re: [LUG] OT Free-sat

On 15/05/08 08:32:01, george wrote:
> I've been reviewing my TV aerial requirements to get the best digital reception
> and I noticed the blurb on free-sat TV.  As I see it I can get a satellite dish
> from Amazon for about £25, probably a satellite finder/signal strength meter for
> £9 and a freesat box from Argos for £50 which will give me 80 channels.  The box
> will probably come down in the next few months after volume sales.  And I can say
> goodbye to poor reception.
> Have I got this right?  Has anyone else tried this?
> George

Yep...
Or, to bring it back on topic, you can install mythtv! I have been myth'd for
sometime and get all the freesat channels.
Have not worked out the EPG yet, still using the radio times.

Or you can get a sat dish off freecycle ( I got one from FC and one from the tip)
A sky box off FC and use the built in meter if you can see the TV from the dish
location, I could.
I got a meter of ebay from about £2, or borrow my meter if you are in the Penwith
area.

Sky box's can use freesat, but you won't have the epg.
In fact freesat is just an epg anyway, with the exception of Channel 4, all the
signal data is the same for freesat and sky.
Channel 4 is trx twice at the moment due to contractual agreements with Sky. (I
think all that is correct).

--
'ooroo

stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should,     >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
use the hammer. If it moves and  `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\