[LUG] OT: Businessweek article "Closing the Door to Microsoft Vista"

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2008/tc20080512_157155.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_top+story

General Motors (GM) may take a detour around Vista, the latest computer operating
system from Microsoft (MSFT). The automaker has encountered so many speed bumps
getting Vista to work on its machines that it may just wait for the next version of
Windows, due in 2010 or 2011. "We're considering bypassing Vista and going straight
to Windows 7," says GM's Chief Systems & Technology Officer Fred Killeen.

Vista taxes all but the most modern PCs with hefty processing and memory
requirements. Many of GM's PCs can't even run the system. "By the time we'd replace
them, Windows 7 might be ready anyway," Killeen says. Then there are compatibility
problems with all the software that needs to run on Windows. GM's software vendors
still haven't ensured all their programs will run on Vista trouble-free. So the
company is sticking with Windows XP for now. Killeen figures GM could install
Windows 7 in three or four years.

Corporate technology managers and Vista users have pilloried the system for a host
of other annoyances and incompatibilities (BusinessWeek, 1/23/08), and many are
opting to put off Vista deployments—or forgo the software altogether. Just 7% to 8%
of business PCs at clients of Gartner (IT) run the system, and many CIOs are asking
for advice about how to skip it, according to the consulting company.

Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding. Electronic documents
(including email) are binding if digitally signed and appropriately verified
PGP/  GPG Key : 854F 8d8d
Tue May 13 13:56:32 BST 2008