[LUG] Fwd: Microsoft and OOXML (Ref Pott001/1)

WTF!!!
see last message
Tom te tom te tom

Subject: Microsoft and OOXML  (Ref Pott001/1)
Date: Wednesday 09 April 2008 15:23
From: "Graham Watson MEP \(Casework\)" <casework@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Mr Potts,

Thank you for your email of 3 April regarding Microsoft and OOXML.

The development of new software is very important, however it is critical
that large corporations like Microsoft do not abuse their current dominance
in the market place so as to push up prices. I am pleased that the European
Commission has recently flexed its muscles and imposed a mighty fine of
£680.9Million on Microsoft for its anti competitive practices. No company is
above the law, and the European Union is able to work on behalf of consumers
in instances such as this so as to send a clear message to companies who
wish to be in the market that they must play by the market's rules.

I am aware of concerns raised by many constituents over OOXML, and I
recently contacted Mr Lambert, Microsoft's Director of Government Affairs in
Europe, and I have received a reply which you will find below.

Please be assured I will continue to monitor developments in this area.
Thank you for contacting me on this important matter and if I can be of any
further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerley,

Graham Watson MEP
Member of the European Parliament for South West England and Gibraltar and
Leader of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe in the European
Parliament

While Graham Watson MEP will treat as confidential any personal information
that you pass on, he will normally allow staff and authorised volunteers to
see it if this is needed to help and advise you.  He may pass on all or some
of the information to external agencies if this is necessary to help with
your case. Graham Watson MEP may wish to write to you from time to time to
keep you informed on issues which you may find of interest.  Please let him
know if you do not wish to be contacted for this purpose.
P Please do not print this e-mail unless absolutely necessary
Save energy: switch off your PC when you leave at night

Dear Graham

Thank you for your mail and my apologies for the extended delay in replying
to your constituent's enquiry.

Microsoft was asked by the EU to submit its file formats to a recognised
standards body: which it has now done. We recognise many customers and
partners would prefer the Microsoft Office file formats to be under
independent, standards maintenance than under Microsoft's. We have listened
to and responded to these requests. The Open XML file format is no longer
owned or controlled by Microsoft. It has been adopted as an open
international standard by Ecma International.

Ecma International has now submitted Open XML to ISO and it is currently
being reviewed by national standards bodies who will decide whether it
should become an ISO standard. In the UK, important organisations such as
the British Library, have supported Open XML becoming an independent
standard: precisely because it means the file format will be open and under
independent standards control, not that of Microsoft. More recently,
independent reports have indicated that Open XML is a rich file format (see
for example the Burton Group report at
http://www.burtongroup.com/Guest/Ccs/WhatsUpDoc.aspx (free registration
required). The information contained in this report is extremely supportive
of the quality of the Open XML standard, the technical superiority of Open
XML compared to other document file formats and its growing adoption in both
the public and private sectors.

Open XML has already proved to be widely portable - with versions available
now for Mac, Linux and for competing office suites such as Open Office. This
is enabling competitors to provide their own alternatives to Microsoft
products, but to use an interoperable file format, namely Open XML.

ISO and Ecma have publicly declared that there are no IPR issues or concerns
with Open XML.  (See http://www.jtc1sc34.org/repository/0932.htm and
http://www.ecma-international.org/news/TC45_current_work/Ecma%20responses.pd
f (Sec. 2.2).)

In terms of how Open XML has been scrutinised by ISO, it in fact received
more outright yes votes than ODF did when it was standardised by ISO.
However it was blocked from acceptance as an ISO standard in the first round
of voting. This process is continuing, with a meeting of ISO at the end of
February and then a final round of voting in March.

If you have any further queries, I'd be happy to meet to discuss them.