Re: [LUG] OT: Play Station 3

Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi All
>
> This is off-topic but I am hoping as it computer related it will be ok.
>
> At Lostwithiel we are now beginning to see things happen. Benches
> built, wiring about to go in and our small network will be up and
> running shortly. I am hoping to build in a small sound system and
> possibly video system. What I would like to do is to have a computer
> that can be accessed by a touch screen and allow the young people to
> select the music or video they want. On top of that the young people
> also want a ps3. Is it possible to run a ps3 on an ordinary computer
> monitor or does it have to be a hdtv please?

 From what I understand it is possible to use a normal PC monitor with a
HDMI to DVI adaptor as the PS3 has HDMI output.  It's a bit like
connecting the DVI out of a PC into a HDMI input on a TV.  You'd need a
suitable HDMI to DVI cable (eBuyer are VERY reasonable on cables, I got
a 5 metre HDMI to DVI cable for about £7, compare that to the likes of
PC World & Comet and you'll see it's a major saving!).

> I know that the ps3 can
> be networked and am also wondering whether you can put music and video
> on it and use it for streaming these things whilst playing a game?

Not sure if it can be used in game, but I believe it can be used for
media streaming in the operating system itself, or you could install
Linux (IIRC there is a version of Yellow Dog Linux and also Ubuntu
available for the PS3).

> If not I suppose myth tv is the way to go. If we went myth tv can we run
> it through a touch screen?

If it's a touch screen that has DVI and emulates the mouse (we use Elo
Touchscreens at work which off DVI/VGA and USB/Serial connections
although they are pretty pricey - I think in the region of about £400 a
piece for a 15" screen) it will most probably work with Linux.  Not sure
about the PS3 OS.

> And finally, does anybody know whether we
> can buy a console station that we could fit a ps3 and/or a touch
> screen in? It would be like one of the early games machine that we
> used to see in pubs and nightclubs, etc.

You can buy arcade cabinets from eBay for about £50 upwards which could
be converted (they're usually picked up and turned into Mame cabinets),
or perhaps you could ask a local joiner to build one for you from MDF or
something.

> And of course get ready for gearing up for the next Lostwithiel meet.

Yeah, any ideas when this will be?  I'm down in Cornwall in May, not
sure where but I bet it's a darn sight closer than Torquay :-)

Rob