Re: [LUG] ISP

Simon Avery wrote:
> Keith Menadue wrote:
>
> Backup connection
>> Dial up modems
>
> Talking of which, read the small print on one of those USB mobile sticks
> that are in the sunday papers, figured it would be handy to have if the
> adsl went down again. (I'm very rural, lots of overhead between here and
> the exchange)
>
> £10/month
> 1GB cap.
> Exceed the cap and extra bandwidth charged at £1/MB
>
> Inadvertently download a double sided DVD ISO and you're looking at a
> bill of around seven thousand pounds by my reckoning.
>
> Something clenched when I read that and I decided not to get one...

But as long as you don't leave it on downloading, it's perfectly fine
for e-mail and light web browsing.  You can pay extra to go for higher
allowances, and on Pay As You Go, you only pay when you want it, so if
your broadband doesn't go down at all and you don't need it then simply
don't top it up :-)

I'd agree though, the £1/MB is a bit excessive.  I'd have thought maybe
1p a meg would be more like it (that's still £10 a gig).

Hang on, who am I trying to kid, it's a mobile phone company, they're
all famous for their stupidly high charges if you go over the limits :-)

Rob