Re: [LUG] ISP

Rob Beard wrote:
> Simon Avery wrote:
>

>> Zen. Superb reputation. Ordered yesterday, and process painless and
>> informative.  Free block of 8 IP's, always handy for the geeks... I have
>> high hopes for them, and many friends recommend them.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>

> I used to use Zen and they were pretty good, this was going back a
> couple of years but I've still heard good things about them although I
> believe they are a bit pricey.  Paul Sutton will be able to tell you
> what Zen are like, he's with them.
>
> Rob

Hi Keith Menadue wrote
My 2 pence worth on
Internet connections & Broadband on ISP's

ISP's
The Good
Entanet reseller ADSL24 at work * * * * *
The Post Office, Surprisingly they seem pretty OK * * *
The BAD
Use Orange at one address .....# # for lack of support
Dealt with Tiscalli problems # # # for anti support
And the Ugly
Migrated from Eclipse # # # # iffy billing iffy & connection
Had BT # # # # # never again.

Routers
Some of the experience with ISP's depends on the equipment you use and
the phone line you have. This is not their fault, although they are
often blamed for it. I try to always use an approved face plate with an
internal filter.
The router performance depends on Firmware and the chipset. ( especially
the Netgear 834 Version numbers and firmware). Some firmware is miles
better than others. Dito chip sets with some combinations.

Netgear 834 * * * * * if firmware OK, holds up on very poor SNR, latest
not necessarily the best I have a DG834 v3
Speedtouch 536 * * * * # limited features, but (can) work on the poorest
SNR, not to good if you want a firewall etc
DrayTek 2600V * * * * Ok so far, runs VoIP OK bit expensive
DrayTek 2800 * * * # expensive and mine's bust! Good security & features
not so good long lines or poor SNR
BT voyager 2005 # # doesn't work on poor SNR the Netgear and Speedtouch
are better.
USB ADSL modems, been there, horrid things don't like them. # # # # #

Backup connection
Dial up modems
The external Phonic Pro V90 (not V92 they are not as good ) its totally
bullet proof * * * * *
They are now under £5 if you can get one.
These external modems work with the Puppy Distro so you can get round
just about anything.
You just need a low rate phone number and the default password.