Re: [LUG] OT Virus

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 15:13:24 +0000
"Jaan Jänesmäe" <secrgb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Jaan,

> I personally don't care if google does have ads on the search engine

It's not the ads, per se, it's the fact that Google built their search
engine without them, said the engine would remain ad free, and are now
introducing them.  Adverts is one of the reasons other search engines
failed;  It was impossible to find search results because there were
far too many ads.  Still, if things stay as they are (text only ads)
Google search isn't too bad.

> or gmail. They also have to earn their keep as do I and as do you. Let

And I've no desire to deny them an income.  I just wish they'd kept to
their original philosophy.

> them. I use gmail a lot, mostly all of my mail is collected in gmail
> for 2 reasons, centralised and searchable. Another good features
> include large quota and labels. All this on a web based service is
> good enough for me.

It certainly has some advantages, but the disadvantages outweigh them,
for me.

In some ways, Google are behaving like Micro$oft do.  With GMail and
Google Groups, they've taken something that works reasonably well,
added their own wrapper, without actually making any improvements, and
"sold" it back to us.  With Google Groups they've actually made it very
much worse.

--
 Regards  _

When I say ugly, I don't mean rough looking, I mean hideous
Ugly - The Stranglers