Re: [LUG] Petition against on-line advertising....

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 00:21:17 +0000
Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Andy Smith wrote:
> >
> > A lot of people objecting to Phorm already have suppliers that do
> > similar.  A good example would be Google.  I assume all those who
> > object to Phorm do not use Google Mail, Google Checkout and if they
> > use Google Search they delete all cookies etc. afterwards.
>
> I'm with Clare and Eion, I delete cookie every time the browser closes,
> the only sensible way unless you want to spend eternity deciding whose
> cookies are doing something useful for you.

Deleting cookies does not protect you from Phorm - in fact, deleting
cookies *prevents you using the opt-out* that Phorm 'offers'.

The Phorm attack happens outside your own browser, it is a routing
issue, not a cookie issue.

The only safe method is to block or redirect to localhost all traffic
to and from any Phorm machine via DNS and/or iptables.

--

Neil Williams