Re: [LUG] Petition against on-line advertising....

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 09:57:55AM +0000, Clare Shepherd wrote:
> On 11 Mar 2008, at 08:45, Tom Potts wrote:
>
> > http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ispphorm/
> > Fat chance but hey....
>
> Tom did you see how few have signed? When I signed there was only
> about 2000+ signatures. No wonder our freedoms are eroded by the day.

I don't believe it is an issue of freedom and I don't believe that
it is relavent for the Prime Minister's office.  The petition calls
for:

a) This particular proposal to be treated as illegal if it is found
to be illegal -- thus a pointless request; and

b) for the selling of customer data to be made illegal

which is overly broad and would either affect almost every industry
or else if it was not equally applied would unfairly restrict the
European Internet service provider industry.

Plenty of people already agree to have their data aggregated and
sold in accordance with European law, and do not find it so
horrible.  I believe that the concern over Phorm is mostly hysteria
out of proprotion with what the scheme will actually entail.

Of course if Phorm proves to be illegal then I am fully in support
of it being shut down, but so far I see nothing that makes it
particularly different than many other already-existing schemes
involving the use of cutomer data.

Furthermore it can be avoided by moving to a different ISP, so the
market will decide if consumers want this.  I don't see why any
special action needs to be taken with regard to Phorm, rather the
general standards of data protection should be monitored and kept up
to date with new technology.

A lot of people objecting to Phorm already have suppliers that do
similar.  A good example would be Google.  I assume all those who
object to Phorm do not use Google Mail, Google Checkout and if they
use Google Search they delete all cookies etc. afterwards.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB