Re: [LUG] firefox download failing on screensaver

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 08:49:27 +0000, Tom Potts
<tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday 06 March 2008 23:25, Neil Stone wrote:
>> Tom Potts wrote:
>> > Ok its a fairly shabby suse9.2 with ff1.5.0.7 but I've just managed to
>> > convince myself that the download manager screws up when the
> screensaver
>> > pops on.
>> > I cant find the problem on a bug report  - not that I've looked that
>> > hard! Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?
>> > Tom te tom te tom
>>
>> step 1, update..
> I cant 'safely' - the later versions of ff use a libc6 which is
> incompatible
> with suse9.2.  The laptop it runs on works for enuf stuff not to want to
> try
> upgrading it - I just have to remember to wget anything big!
> I'm not a great believer in upgrading willy-nilly. Apart from drivers
> theres
> very little of use to me (other than bug/security fixes) in most upgrades
> since Kernel 2.0.

What about later versions of your screensaver?

> On a tangent here - has anyone heard of a kernel configuration tool that
> can
> look at your current configuration - ie tell what modules you've got
> loaded
> and then use that to compile the kernel so you dont have anything you
dont
> need in it without running through 20,000 options some of which require a
> PhD
> in computing or a pan galactic gargle blaster to make sense of?
> Tom te tom te tom

Not heard of one, but that would be nice. :)  I thought there was a file
somewhere (I figured /proc, but I couldn't find it) that was essentially a
duplicate of your current-kernel's config.  Or maybe I'm thinking of
something else.

Anyway, if you build your own kernels isn't there a way to keep your
current kernel config and do "make menuconfig" and only have it show you
the things that have changed since?  I'm sure I remember that too... having
said that, it's been a while since I rolled my own.

Grant.