Re: [LUG] firefox download failing on screensaver

On Thursday 06 March 2008 23:25, Neil Stone wrote:
> Tom Potts wrote:
> > Ok its a fairly shabby suse9.2 with ff1.5.0.7 but I've just managed to
> > convince myself that the download manager screws up when the screensaver
> > pops on.
> > I cant find the problem on a bug report  - not that I've looked that
> > hard! Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?
> > Tom te tom te tom
>
> step 1, update..
I cant 'safely' - the later versions of ff use a libc6 which is incompatible
with suse9.2.  The laptop it runs on works for enuf stuff not to want to try
upgrading it - I just have to remember to wget anything big!
I'm not a great believer in upgrading willy-nilly. Apart from drivers theres
very little of use to me (other than bug/security fixes) in most upgrades
since Kernel 2.0.

On a tangent here - has anyone heard of a kernel configuration tool that can
look at your current configuration - ie tell what modules you've got loaded
and then use that to compile the kernel so you dont have anything you dont
need in it without running through 20,000 options some of which require a PhD
in computing or a pan galactic gargle blaster to make sense of?
Tom te tom te tom