Re: [LUG] ms office, openoffice and vista

Rob Beard wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
>
>> David Bell wrote:

>> This will be a club computer,  so far I have simply asked if Open office
>> can be installed as I have so much work in that format,  Ideally once we
>> have an office at the club + computer + printer,  I can move some of the
>> files created at home to the club computer,  which means, that anyone
>> who has appropriate login can simply print them off. Or I can simply go
>> upstairs,  login, open required file and print off,   which for me will
>> me much easier.
>>
>> if this is not possible, i may ask for additional power sockets to be in
>> stalled, + perhaps a few cat 5 sockets,  so I can plug a laptop in.  I
>> will have to tell the laptop where to print too,  but with any luck it
>> will be a network aware printer anyway.
>>
>> If that fails there is always flash drives,  :)  assuming vista can
>> handle these in a sensible way.   plug in.  open my computer find files.
>>

>> Paul
>>

> Is this computer one they already have or is it one you're putting
> together for them?
>
> I'd be pretty certain that Vista could handle flash drives (I mean, they
> are a pretty common item now so it would be crazy not to accept them).
>
> Even if they get a basic laser or inkjet printer, it should be possible
> to share that over a simple network assuming that the computer is
> plugged into an router (which dishes out IP addresses) which you can
> then plug your laptop into, or a switch with either every machine being
> set to a static IP address or have internet connection sharing enabled
> on the PC.
>
> If all else fails, just export your documents to a PDF or save copies of
> them in Word/Excel/Powerpoint 97 format.
>
> Rob

Its one that is  being built for the club, by a friend of the
webmaster,  I am only a coach and help with some first team stuff,  ok i
have access to the website to update stuff,  I am just trying to make my
life easier and have some imput regarding computers,  given the amount
of work that I have in odt format.

 From what I can gather here,  Open office should work,,   i have
requested it,  so I can work with the files I have,  and I don't have to
either import them or rewrite them.  I think i have made a good argument
for getting it installed along side or instead of MS office,  but its up
to the club.

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

visit us on IRC - irc.flashtek-uk.com / 6667 #dclug