Re: [LUG] Running two independent instances of X (including two window managers) on one PC

Rob Beard wrote:
> Quoting Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> I read something about this recently, although I have to admit I can't
>> remember where.  It was an article about having "greener" computers -
>> since most computers in use today are idling most of the time, why get
>> a computer when you could just use the 1 computer twice over.
>>
>> Anyway, IIRC one of the issues they had was getting X to respect only 1
>> keyboard per instance of X.  They had 2 Xs running and 2 keyboards
>> plugged in, and despite trying to tell X1 "only use this keyboard and
>> not that", it would still take input from "that".
>>
>> The article was a little old (c. 2005) so it may have been overcome.
>> As per Simon's advice, though, use 2 separate cards.
>>
>> Grant.
>>

> I think I might have seen the same article as what you mention, the
> one I found was talking about filling a machine with graphics cards
> and running something like 8 screens from one PC.
>
> I'll keep searching, at least for now I can mirror the displays (not
> ideal but it works).  Eventually I will invest in a dedicated box
> especially with the chip and memory prices coming down so much (Aria
> are currently selling dual core Athlon X2 3600+ chips at about £23
> each and 512MB sticks of memory for about £6 each!!!) I'll eventually
> build a machine to work as a dedicated media centre box.
>
> Rob

I found the link to what I want to achieve -
http://www.linuxtoys.org/multiseat/multiseat.html

That's the sort of idea I'm looking at but with less video
cards/keyboards/mice.

I'm going to give Ubuntu 8.04 a try and see if this detects my multiple
video cards right.

Rob