Re: [LUG] ms office, openoffice and vista

Paul Sutton wrote:
> David Bell wrote:

> This will be a club computer,  so far I have simply asked if Open office
> can be installed as I have so much work in that format,  Ideally once we
> have an office at the club + computer + printer,  I can move some of the
> files created at home to the club computer,  which means, that anyone
> who has appropriate login can simply print them off. Or I can simply go
> upstairs,  login, open required file and print off,   which for me will
> me much easier.
>
> if this is not possible, i may ask for additional power sockets to be in
> stalled, + perhaps a few cat 5 sockets,  so I can plug a laptop in.  I
> will have to tell the laptop where to print too,  but with any luck it
> will be a network aware printer anyway.
>
> If that fails there is always flash drives,  :)  assuming vista can
> handle these in a sensible way.   plug in.  open my computer find files.
>

> Paul

Is this computer one they already have or is it one you're putting
together for them?

I'd be pretty certain that Vista could handle flash drives (I mean, they
are a pretty common item now so it would be crazy not to accept them).

Even if they get a basic laser or inkjet printer, it should be possible
to share that over a simple network assuming that the computer is
plugged into an router (which dishes out IP addresses) which you can
then plug your laptop into, or a switch with either every machine being
set to a static IP address or have internet connection sharing enabled
on the PC.

If all else fails, just export your documents to a PDF or save copies of
them in Word/Excel/Powerpoint 97 format.

Rob