Re: [LUG] A couple of problems.

jon.davey2@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Hi everyone, firstly I am trying to install a p2p program that I have
>> downloaded (MlDonkey).
>
> <snip>
>
> I just did a search and it is in the Ubuntu repositories (at least I
> think it is).  If you're using Ubuntu (7.10) or one of it's derivatives,
> try typing the following at the command line:
>
> sudo apt-get install mldonkey-gui
>
> That should at least install the GUI.  There is a server package listed
> too although I don't know if you'd need this having not used mldonkey
> before (and to be honest, I usually use Bit Torrent myself).
>
> Rob
>
> ....thanks. Oh?!. Would you reccomend I use bit torrent instead ?.....
> Jon.

Well I guess it depends what you want to download.  I use the Azureus
Bit Torrent client which I believe is in the Ubuntu repositories and
possibly other distro repositories too.  I got used to Azureus when I
was using Windows, and I use it for downloads such as ISO images of
Ubuntu (which I can download and then give a bit of bandwidth back to
others).  I've always found that thinks like eMule and eDonkey always
have a lack of hosts with the files and it takes forever to download
anything, usually ending up with nothing downloaded and a whole lot of
frustration!!!

This might give you a bit more of an idea of using Bit Torrent on Linux
(although if you're running Ubuntu, I'd search for Azureus on Add/Remove
Programs or through Synaptic first before trying a manual install).

Rob