Re: [LUG] Running two independent instances of X (including two window managers) on one PC

Quoting Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I read something about this recently, although I have to admit I can't
> remember where.  It was an article about having "greener" computers -
> since most computers in use today are idling most of the time, why get
> a computer when you could just use the 1 computer twice over.
>
> Anyway, IIRC one of the issues they had was getting X to respect only 1
> keyboard per instance of X.  They had 2 Xs running and 2 keyboards
> plugged in, and despite trying to tell X1 "only use this keyboard and
> not that", it would still take input from "that".
>
> The article was a little old (c. 2005) so it may have been overcome.
> As per Simon's advice, though, use 2 separate cards.
>
> Grant.

I think I might have seen the same article as what you mention, the
one I found was talking about filling a machine with graphics cards
and running something like 8 screens from one PC.

I'll keep searching, at least for now I can mirror the displays (not
ideal but it works).  Eventually I will invest in a dedicated box
especially with the chip and memory prices coming down so much (Aria
are currently selling dual core Athlon X2 3600+ chips at about £23
each and 512MB sticks of memory for about £6 each!!!) I'll eventually
build a machine to work as a dedicated media centre box.

Rob