Re: [LUG] Software Freedom Day 2008

Jaan Jänesmäe wrote:
> Why not create 1 big party/parade. We could register it as a protest
> so the costs would be also minimal. There are currently many things to
> protest about, like: why is the gov not using foss and so on and so
> on.

I'd say two reasons, one is location - we're spread out across Devon &
Cornwall, hopefully having 3 events would mean there's an event fairly
close (possibly within an hour's drive) to everyone.

I for one wouldn't be able to go all the way down to Penzance, and I
expect a fair few of the members in Cornwall wouldn't be able to make it
to Exeter.

Second reason is publicity.  As far as I can tell from reading up on the
Software Freedom Day mailing list, part of the idea of the day is to
raise awareness of Free/Open Source Software.  Sure, having a parade
will raise some awareness, but having an event where Joe Public can come
along, see the software up and running (on Linux and maybe
Windows/MacOS) and take a disc of software home would probably raise
more awareness.  Not to mention visitors will be able to both have a
play with the software and talk to people who are using it and have any
questions or queries answered.  Think of it as kind of a networking
event for FLOSS.

> Anyway, the first idea was to protest against software patents and
> promote freedom (as in free software). We could also promote unsigned
> artists as there is really a lot of good music around but big
> companies and radio stations only promote the ones, which have bigger
> sums behind them.

Actually, that's not entirely true.  For starters, if you listen to
Music Control on Gemini FM/Lantern FM/Plymouth Sound you'd know that
they're currently promoting a few unsigned bands/artists, two of whom
are from Devon (one artist is a girl from Plymouth, the other is a band
called Stillyano from Exeter).  Gemini Exeter also heavily promoted
Stillyano over Christmas as they wrote a Christmas song which they tried
to get in to the carts with all proceeds going to charity.

> And finally to promote this all, we could easily get sponsors and
> stuff. So let's get the party/parade started and let the world know
> what the people want!

I know of a couple of organisations which may be able to do some sort of
promotion/sponsorship, even if it's only maybe a banner ad on their web
site.

Rob