Re: [LUG] can't access tty; job control turned off

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:58:14 +0000
Simon Robert wrote:
> I'm in Mid Devon, near Tiverton, but would be willing to travel.
>
> Actually I've had a bit of progress, though it's all rather weird.
> From the external DVD/CD drive some live distros will install, though
> no ethernet/sound. Graphics is just a matter of installing the nvidia
> driver.
>
>  From the "internal" CD/DVD drive *.iso based distros will at least
> start to install. Zenwalk for example will let me choose keyboard
> layout and partition the disc. However when it trys to detect a CD
> with an installable zenwalk on it it fails.
>
> Very weirdly minimal distros, like Vector, will install from this
> drive. PClinuxOS MiniMe (the new one) also installs as a live disc.
> It can see the audio, but not the ethernet.
>
> The big breakthrough is that the alternate ubuntu disk, i.e. the
> *.iso non livecd version, does install and does see the LAN. It does
> not however see the audio. I have downloaded the drivers from Realtek
> and installed all the kernel headers, alsa apps and dev packages I
> think could possibly be relevant, but no joy. The graphics are OK
> after installing all the nvidia stuff.
>
> I've even got ubuntu, with kaffeine installed, to recognise my DVB
> card. However though it does a channel scan it isn't able to show
> anything as it does not have suitable resources. There's no audio
> anyhow....
>
> So that's how it currently stands. If I could mix all this stuff
> together it'd be great. As it is I have a workable PC, but far from
> ideal.
>
> All very strange....
>
> Simon

Do you have a nForce chipset?  A couple of years ago a student of mine
had such a board and things would install (maybe) but not detect any
Ethernet, etc.  Adding the nForce drivers sorted it out, but it was a
P.I.T.A.

Grant.