[LUG] can't access tty; job control turned off

I'm getting desperate on this one. I'm attempting to install linux, I've
tried several distros, on a novatech barebones box. That is everything
except hard drive and dvd/cd drive.

I've plugged everything in and it all seems to work. I've set it to boot
from the cd drive first and the sata drive second.

Cd's from magazines are ignored completely. *.iso disks it attempts to
use and then drops to the ash shell and comes up with the "can't access
tty; job control turned off" message.

Strangely I have installed Vector Linux, but VL is not the distro I
want, so it could be the problem is connected with live disks. Zenwalk
gets as far as finishing partitioning before it crashes, (no message
just drops to a command line).

Using an external DVD/CD drive live disks do load all the way, however
no ethernet/LAN device is detected and the graphics are way off in terms
of size/definition etc.

Very annoyingly windows xp installs perfectly! No network, but that's
probably down to drivers?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks
    Simon