Re: [LUG] FLOSS in schools redux.

On Friday 08 February 2008 09:34, martin.gautier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> The curriclum as a whole is available online for you to view. This has
No its not - the curriculum is NOT online - theres a lot of stuff about what
the curriculum should be but absolutely no curriculum at all.
I said in an earlier e-mail that I found out maths is about numbers.
So maths is about maths and geography is about peoples relationship with their
environment. Great they've revinvented the dictionary to make it harder to
look things up and then defining everthing as 'its a word'.
Its a serious heap of ordure.
> little benefit however as it is down to individual schools to develop
> their own material to cover the curriculum. Schemes of Work are also
> available which give teachers a head start but in my experience a lot has
> to be re-hashed to fit how the school is approaching things - makes it
> useless to all but the laziest teachers.

> There are commercial companies supplying this market with
> shrink-wrapped material (for about £8-9000, as I understand) but my school
> at least is looking at building their own from scratch.
I think that is the main reason for the sites - just government paid
advertising for parasitic business'.

> To be fair, there is a LOT of material out there for teachers from central
> government, LEA and peer supported.
>
> The difficulty for most small schools (especially primary schools where
> there is no streaming) is that most teachers need to write a number of
> schemes of work for each topic they teach due to the wide range of
> abilities in the class (ie. Gifted & Talented, "normal", "divs" and SEN)
This is the stuff that should really be available

> Most schools/teachers should be able to provide you with a list of topics
> that they will be teaching your child that term
They should have a national curriculum so they don't have to.....
Tom te tom te tom