Re: [LUG] FLOSS in schools redux.

>>I was in my pre-judiced (sic) way trying to find out just how
inefficient they
>>could make it.
>>They've done an amazing job.
>>As a parent I would like to be able to see what they're meant to be
teaching
>>my kids and its pretty much impossible to find out.
>>Surely they could have a web page with a course/stage matrix table with
>>clickable links to the course requirements (and all the specious
metadata)
>>The course requirements should then be in small bite sized blocks of
simple
>>HTML that a teacher or parent can then copy and expand on to create
'lessons'
>>and tests that could then be published (shared) on a WIKI (or similar)
by
>>registered teachers and accessed by parents/carers.
>>
>>I could then, after a few clicks find out what my kids are meant to be
>>learning rather than finding out how (if the teachers could even control
the
>>kids) well meaning the whole thing is and how we go forward and all that

>>pathetic setting of boundaries etc is done.
>>
>>Sometimes you cant see the wood for the trees - this time you cant see
the
>>wood for the sawdust....

The curriclum as a whole is available online for you to view. This has
little benefit however as it is down to individual schools to develop
their own material to cover the curriculum. Schemes of Work are also
available which give teachers a head start but in my experience a lot has
to be re-hashed to fit how the school is approaching things - makes it
useless to all but the laziest teachers.

The latest government edict is that the curriculum should be taught in a
more holistic way in the form of themes which include cross-curricular
topics (ie. a scheme of work which covers colouring in shapes counts for
both maths and art tickboxes). With this in mind, a lot of schools are now
reviewing their current approach and looking at developing a whole new
one. There are commercial companies supplying this market with
shrink-wrapped material (for about £8-9000, as I understand) but my school
at least is looking at building their own from scratch.

To be fair, there is a LOT of material out there for teachers from central
government, LEA and peer supported.

The difficulty for most small schools (especially primary schools where
there is no streaming) is that most teachers need to write a number of
schemes of work for each topic they teach due to the wide range of
abilities in the class (ie. Gifted & Talented, "normal", "divs" and SEN)

Most schools/teachers should be able to provide you with a list of topics
that they will be teaching your child that term

Martin