Re: [LUG] NSLU2 capabilities?

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:20:55 +0000
Michael Mortimore wrote:

> > I am seriously considering the NSLU2, or something eerily similar.
> > Basically any low power consumption box that does NAS and runs Linux
> > that is (relatively) easily "extend-able" to do other things as
> > well. Oh, and it shouldn't break the bank.  Hence my interest in
> > the NSLU2.
> Does that mean you're going to put debian or unslung or something on
> instead of the stock firmware? Be aware that the NSLU2 only has 32Megs
> of ram. (or at least it did a year or 2 ago)

Yes, I was thinking of Debianising it - might as well make it use an
environment I'm familiar with. :D  And is 32MB really too low for what
is essentially a single-user mail/web/fileserver?

> I went for the linkstation pro, partly because it has 128Megs ram and
> partly because it has an internal hd and 2 usb ports. Mine runs
> bittorrent and the extra ram helps there. it still swaps if i run too
> many at once.  It costs a bit more than a NSLU2 + USB hard drive but I
> thought (and still think) it was worth it. putting debian on was easy
> enough.

Hmm... not a bad piece of kit.  I like the way it already comes with a
320GB drive - no faffing. :)

Certainly worth thinking about.

Any recommendations of where these can be purchased from?  I tend to
use eBuyer as my first point of reference - £55.29 for the NSLU2 and
£126.04 for the Linkstation (at time of writing).

Cheers.
Grant.