Re: [LUG] OT: Hackers attack broadband routers

Julian Hall wrote:

> ' Internet criminals are targeting home broadband routers in an attempt
> to control users' internet connections...... Contrary to much
> speculation on the web, the attack does not rely on uPNP.'

Reminds me of that famous bug in some routers, Linksys and Netgear.
Where you could post a certain string via port 6667 (ie, IRC) and anyone
affected would be disconnected. It wasn't even a malicious string - but
an valid irc command string.

I won't post the link publically, but it's "routers that are vulnerable
to this are running vxworks as their embedded OS.". And of course, this
got around IRC and people were pasting it in busy channels every few
minutes...

--
Simon Avery