Re: [LUG] NSLU2 capabilities?

Grant Sewell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am seriously considering the NSLU2, or something eerily similar.
> Basically any low power consumption box that does NAS and runs Linux
> that is (relatively) easily "extend-able" to do other things as well.
> Oh, and it shouldn't break the bank.  Hence my interest in the NSLU2.
>
> Anyway I have several questions about it, the most pressing of which is
> about its drive capabilities.  The specs say it comes with 2xUSB2 ports
> so you can connect 2xUSB2 harddrives to it... what if one were to
> attach a powered USB2 hub and several USB2 harddrives via the hub?
> Would it be OK with this?  (Personally, I can't see how it couldn't be,
> but it's better to check.)
>
> How about being a print server for a USB printer?  Is it happy with
> doing this?
>
> Cheers all.
> Grant. :)

I can heartily recommend the (debianised) NSLU2. I bought mine after
being in much the same position as you, and have had no problems with
it. So far, it's been very stable (uptime currently 33 days, and that's
since a upgrade that needed a reboot), and does everything I want it to.
Plus, it's nice to have a non x86 processor to play with. As other
people have said, I can't see any reason it wouldn't play nicely with a
hub or usb printer, but as I don't have either, I can't test it for you.
  I am half-considering buying another usb disk to use as backup, but
I've spent a fair amount on computer-related thing recently, so that
might have to wait.

Regards,

Sam