Re: [LUG] sox woes

On Jan 29, 2008, Steven Cote was like:

> If you don't mind sacrificing some quality for superior compression, then
> the lossy formats are the way to go, either ogg vorbis or mp3. I'll probably
> always think lame is the best tool for compressing wav data to mp3's.

I'll try that. I need mp3 if I am sending a file to someone with an iPod
but as for me I'd use vorbis or flac.

On Jan 29, 2008, Grant Sewell was like:

> on Ubuntu 7.10:
> gsewell@desktop:~$ apt-cache search mp3 library| wc -l
>      88
> gsewell@desktop:~$ apt-cache search mp3 encoder| wc -l
>      30
<snip>
> than lame, which just so happens to be in that list anyway. :D

It isn't in my list; do I need another repo in the sources.list?
This is what I have now:
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free

How does lame get round the software patent issues described in the
64Studio faq?

> 64Studio is a Debian based system, so you can always add Debian and/or
> Ubuntu repositories to your /etc/apt/sources.list file (as detailed in
> http://64studio.com/faq_user)

I don't normally use 64 Studio; I just used it here to see if sox worked
there (it does, because they have sensibly kept v12).

On Jan 29, 2008, Rob Beard was like:

> I've just been using LAME from the command line for something similar
> (checking automation of a radio play out system).  I just simply used
> the command line:
>
> lame sourcefile.wav destinationfile.mp3
>
> I'm guessing you could do the same with oggenc (which is in the
> vorbis-tools package on Ubuntu and presumably Debian too).

Yes, Debian has vorbis-tools

Thanks to everyone

Tony Sumner